I don't think squashing is a good idea. Feature branches are good for
keeping half baked work away from release ready branch. But feature-branch
+ merge is good enough for that. History is kept for a reason, disturbing
it, even within a feature kills detailed information about why things are
the way they are.

Atleast personally, I never felt any pain because of merge commits. I find
it all the more useful because it gives out exactly how commits were
formed, what has been tried, what bugs have been fixed, which patch broke
something etc.

Can we please keep the tree as is?

--
Regards,
Janmejay

PS: Please blame the typos in this mail on my phone's uncivilized soft
keyboard sporting it's not-so-smart-assist technology.