Hi Bob,

I'm curious to better understand your objective:

> [some docker container] logs contain a textual severity level based on the
> log4j levels:
> DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, CRITICAL, FATAL.
>
> The docker syslog integration dumps all the stdout of a container into
> syslog with a severity of LOG_INFO, and stderr with LOG_ERR.
>
> I'd like to parse the incoming json and map the level names to syslog
> severity numbers.

Is it correct that you're trying to maintain the distinction between the
LOG_INFO and LOG_ERR streams coming out of the docker containers?  If that's
*all* you're trying to achieve, would just adding another property to your JSON
output to store the info/err value be sufficient?

Or... do you have existing downstream log processing that depends on the syslog
severity values, so mapping the log4j {DEBUG, INFO, WARN, ERROR, CRITICAL,
FATAL} text values onto syslog {Debug, Info, Notice, Warning, Error, Critical,
Alert, Emergency} severities is the critical part?

(Or some other scenario I haven't understood yet ...?)

--
Dave Caplinger | Director, Technical Product Management
Solutionary — An NTT Group Security Company