not really, but we haven't had anyone experiment with thousands of them, so it's possible, but unlikely that there would be a measureable slowdown as rsyslog finds the right one to use.

The bigger overhead is in interpreting the template, that's where simplifying it to be $! or $!foo would be a big win (or writing a string module)

Memory went above 5GB for our first dirty try (several rulesets, several queues...). I'll change that soon.

there isn't a good writeup, but if you read on how to use the maxmind database, the perl example has you create an array where the first element is the decimal equivalent of the first IP address that matches the data.

This is exactly the structure that a sparse array lookup table is intended for. I beleive there is a function that will take an IPv4 address and return a decimal number (if not, we need to add one). Use that function to create a number, lookup the number in the lookup table, and have it return the data.

The second paragraph is correct, however I haven't used them yet in rsyslog. I'll document them then.

Thanks a lot, David, for your kind help, experienced comments and wise advice.
You deserve another prize ;)