On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, at 19:18, David Lang wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2016, Bob Gregory wrote:
>
> > For that, I'd like to see better support for GeoIP tagging, a Riemann
> > output plugin, some better guidance on "failed message queues", etc. etc.
> > etc.
>
> With a bit of digging, I can't find where Riemann defines what the
> over-the-wire
> format is that you would need to deliver logs to it.
>
> I see hints that it uses protobuf to serialize things, and has an
> application-level ack mechanism similar to what we have in relp, but the
> levels
> of indirection are stacked high, and the API documenation only points you
> at the
> function defintions.
>
> David Lang

Hi David, Bob,

https://github.com/algernon/riemann-c-client may be of interest to use
it directly -- its been dropped into collectd as a library now as well,
and is ported to Debian & FreeBSD already, that I know of. The protobuf
wire format is
https://github.com/algernon/riemann-c-client/blob/master/lib/riemann/proto/riemann.proto
if that's helpful. License is LGPL3 and I can't work out what rsyslog
mainly comes under.

What I've found useful with collectd and riemann was to be able to set
specific custom tags per instance (rsyslog server in our case) which
makes the sorting in riemann very easy prior to parsing any specific
message output. Mainly source & instance type:

A+
Dave