impstats
Ok. I'll have a look

define 'too fast'. And how do you tell the difference between your logging system having a problem and generating so many messages and the systems you are collecting logs from generating the messages?

If you setup thresholds and start throwing away messages that arrive faster than that, I will guarantee that one day you will find that you are throwing away legitimate logs that you care about as a result.

It's also rather tricky to define such threshold criteria, and expensive to track.

much better to just report the stats to your existing monitoring system and use it to decide that something is wrong.

During tests, as omelasticsearch is not v5 fully-compatible, it started to write warnings for each indexing operation. As we were making high-traffic tests, our /var/log/messages filled with "deprecated: blablabla" and we're now thinking how to handle those situations.

As we "can't" change how applications log (hence, elastic will continue to write those warnings), and considering we would like to get notified about errors on certain procedures (eg: error when creating indexes) I was wondering if theres something like flags/counters:

 1.rsyslog gets message
 2.if it's a notifiable error
      if it's already "notified", increase notify counter
        drop message (don't log it)
      else #not "notified"
        notify error
        log message
 3.if it's a recovery
        log recovery
        notify recovered
 4.otherwise, log normally

In the above, notification could be a snmptrap to our monitoring system, and "if notified" could be a "global" errorCount variable or something similar...

Hope explained properly...

Regards