If you allow Tickets to be created in a queue by "Everyone", an unprivileged user account is created when RT receives an email from a new user, hence you should be able to use custom fields.

Taan

Bill wrote:
Hi,

I have a feeling I know the answer to this already, but thought I
would ask around a bit.

We have a bunch of people who e-mail into RT for support.  We'd like
to be able to query and report on three different kinds of users -
basically students, staff and teachers.  We can accept doing the
latter two and assuming everyone else is a student.

Is it possible to edit the users who just e-mail in so that we can
tag them as something the first time they e-mail in?  I was thinking
custom field, but I cannot figure out how to do that with all the
users without a formal account in RT.

Otherwise, we will be creating accounts for the teachers and staff
and tagging them.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated...