The Fast CGI modules can be picky about permissions. To troubleshoot, you might start with adding the --with-web-user and --with-web-group options to your ./configure command to set them to the user/group for your version of Linux (or FreeBSD). Some systems use 'apache' some have another user/group.

In addition, the generated Makefile has a 'make fixperms' target that will reset permissions on your RT directories to what it thinks they should be.

Sometimes getting the user/group and permissions correct can make FastCGI happy.