The ionosphere that AM frequency radio waves bounce off of RISES after the sun sets and pressure from the solar wind is no longer holding it down.

Therefore AM stations have a **MUCH** greater range on their signal at night, and a corresponding need for smaller stations to cut power.  The big stations that are allowed by the FCC to maintain full power can be picked up 1,000 miles away.

On I-65 outside of Hartselle around midnight I can pick up WWL (N'awlins), WLW (Cinci), WABC (New York), WSB (Atlanta), WLS (Chicago), and KSAT (San Antonio).

WABC in NYC is 770 AM.  If WVNN (770 AM) in Huntsville (and all of the other 770's) didn't power down I wouldn't be able to pick up WABC clear as a bell.

bill evans
Hartselle, AL
[EMAIL PROTECTED]