Nice post.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Terry Pellman
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 4:42 PM
To: Pat Smoot; RollTideFan-The University of Alabama Athletics Discussion List
Subject: Re: [RollTideFan] What...

I'll jump in with a few thoughts....

I've seen two sides of this sordid mess...both revolving around *when* it happened.
One side, "It was too long ago."  The
other, "There really isn't a such thing as the Statue of Limitations with the NCAA."

Both are right and wrong.  So, here's my opinion in a big nut shell.

It's a given the NCAA is investigating the B-ball program.
It's a given it revolves around trying to pay recruits to attend Auburn or actually
paying recruits that are at Auburn.

The question is, are these payments coming from Boosters.  And then, which boosters,
right?

If the first scenario is found to be true, the NCAA may decide (emphasis on MAY ) to
see if it's an ongoing occurance.  In
that case, *if* they decide to see if it is, the entire mess becomes an open book.
That book not only covers the current
situation with the B-ball program, but past seasons as well.  If these boosters are
also boosters of the football program,
this book has another chapter in it.  It doesn't matter when this happened, but if
they can say boosters were paying recruits
10 years ago and they are still doing it today they'll use those past payments as
evidence against the current ones to show
repeat offenses.

If that happens...Katy, bar the door!

If you doubt that, only look as far as Kenny Smith being brought up in our
investigation that they'll (NCAA) do it.  We have
all heard the money he received wasn't from an Alabama booster.  But, that a different
thread in itself right.

Who knows?  Personally, I tire of hearing about the NCAA at every turn no matter if
it's Alabama, the SEC, where ever.
However, that will not dampen my curiousity on "what they'll do this time."  Lord
knows, it's never a repeat performance.