Ok people, this is a trial run to see if I have gotten the HTML
thing corrected.  Can someone advise if everything is ok?
Ken

-------Original Message-------

Date: 09/01/04 07:29:54
Subject: RE: [RollTideFan] Bee Kerfull this weakhend

Motorcyclists break 160 mph on I-459
Wednesday, September 01, 2004
GINNY MacDONALD
News staff writer
Early Tuesday, state trooper Chris Haynes stopped two motorcyclists on
Interstate 459 near U.S. 280. One was going 167 mph and the other 165 mph.

Also Tuesday morning, state trooper Sgt. Tim Sartain stopped a woman for
going 90 mph on Interstate 65 in north Jefferson County. She said she was
late for work.

Danger and death on the highways were the main reasons Gov. Bob Riley
announced a statewide crackdown on speeding last week. Alabama is on a pace
for 1,300 highway fatalities this year, about 300 more than a year ago.
Friday, on the first day of the crackdown, troopers wrote 579 tickets within
12 hours on I-65.

State troopers across the state say they are seeing more speeders, including
super-charged motorcycles capable of speeds up to 180 mph.

A few days ago, a trooper on U.S. 231 near Ozark clocked a motorcyclist
going 130 mph. When he tried to pull the cyclist over, the cyclist took off,
hit a car and lost an arm in the wreck.

The I-459 cyclists were ticketed for reckless driving just after midnight.
If convicted, they could serve five to 90 days in jail or pay fines of $25
to $500.

Under Alabama law, state troopers cannot arrest a motorist for a traffic
violation. An arrest can be made only if a driver is under the influence of
alcohol or drugs, is a suspected felon, has failed to appear in court or is
involved in a wreck that causes injury or death.

Chasing the super-cycles is not always worth it, state trooper Cpl. Spencer
Collier of Mobile said.

"My dealings with the motorcycles is that about one out of three is going to
run when you try to stop them. Pursuing them is too dangerous. It is not
worth somebody dying over it," he said.

A motorcyclist once popped a wheelie in front of Collier's patrol car. "It's
almost to a point where they try to antagonize law enforcement," he said.

Troopers say the safety of other motorists and themselves comes into play
when deciding whether to chase a speeder.

"It's aggravating at times. We don't want to let anybody get away, but if it
is safer, we do. It's a tough call to make," Collier said.

In 2003, 51 people were killed and 949 injured in motorcycle wrecks in
Alabama.

Collier, also a state legislator, said a bill to make it a felony to attempt
to elude a police officer has failed in the Legislature.

"Alabama is one of the few states where all you can do is write a ticket,"
he said.