Zentropix will shortly be releasing a real-time networking module.  This
takes a different approach.

The scheme is that you add an additional network card to your PC, and
have a dedicated real-time network.  This approach does not change or
use the networking code in the Linux kernel, instead the network code
has been put into an RT module.

The programming interface is the defacto standard BSD socket API.
Support for ICMP, ARP and UDP are included.

As the network code is based on the Linux kernel code, it will be
release with full source code.

If it is possible, it would be good to merge the various effort to
provide a single module for real time.

Stuart Hughes

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> This is very nice. You might be interested in comparing notes with
> Axel Bernal ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
> How hard would it be to make this driver work with the new POSIXIO
> interface we added?
>
> On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 08:26:21PM -0700, Michael M. Morrison wrote:
> > This is a quick overview of the interface that we used to communicate with
> > ethernet devices from our realtime task.  It is important to note that this
> > gives us an interface to RAW ethernet frames, not the IP/UDP/TCP networking
> > layers.  This is not that much of an issue considering that remote Linux
> > machines can open sockets of type SOCK_PACKET which will receive raw frames
> > (actually ALL frames).  In addition this means that all error-checking
> > (except for the hardware CRC) has to be done by the application.  Our
> > application communicates with a remote device at 800hz over a dedicated
> > ethernet using this method.  We are using kernel 2.2.10, the beta11 release
> > of RTL, and the tulip driver as our baseline.

----
http://www.rtlinux.org/~rtlinux/