Another question for a group with real-time insight:

If I want to stream packet data from a high bandwidth parallel interface like Raceway coupled through hardware fifos onto gigabit ethernet,  possibly to be consumed by Unix workstations,  then what could give me optimum streaming:

(1)  Running something in RTL at both ends

( 2) Something in RTL at the Raceway/ ehternet conversion end

(3) Something in RTL at the workstation consumer/ data processing/display end.

Also,  what are the design tradeoffs betweek shared RAM and RTL FIFOS?  My own cicular buffers in shared RAM?

Thanks for any insight as to how to approach or even quantify the relative performance,   boh best/worst case,  and typical.

Regards,

Mike Cravens

--
  Alcatel USA                        Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  1000 Coit Road Plano, Texas 75075

  "Keep things as simple as possible,   but no simpler".   A. Einstein

begin:vcard
n:cravens;mike
tel;home:(972) 423-9463
tel;work:(972) 477-7077