This is actually quite interesting and goes to show that not all is clear
about what RTAI is (no offence to Ivan, I'm just raising concerns).

As others will fast point out, RTAI is an RT extension to Linux on it's own.
It has very little to do with RTL in it's current form and doesn't have
a pretence to it, in any case, even though it might have started from the
same source.

Therefore, RTAI features are RTAI features and RTL features are RTL features,
no effort is made to "be compatible". Exception made of different independant
projects who make an effort to be compatible with both (comedi is an example
to this).

In other words, your first assumption is wrong: RTAI is __NOT__ a compatible
extension to RTL with extra features.

Hope this clear things a little for you (Ivan) and other readers out there.

Karim