On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 11:18:34AM +0100, Trevor Woolven wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I wasn't being critical just asking for information but I have to echo Stuart
> here, if you have some speed/determinism problems with Steve's pThreads package
> then I'd like to take a look at them if you don't mind.

My understanding is that, for example,
there is dynamic memory allocation in Steve's package.

> I personally seem to be a bit out of date here - how does PSE51 differ from
> 1003.1x ?

The POSIX 1003.13 standard defines 4 "environments" ranging from
PSE51 (minimal realtime system) to PSE54 (multipurpose)
Linux itself is essentially PSE54 compliant -- with all the usual POSIX file
system  facilities etc. PSE51 defines a multi-threaded
 "single process" environment. So RTLinux defines a PSE51 system where
one of the threads, Linux, is a PSE54 system.  The enormous
advantage of PSE51 is that it provides an accepted standard API that is
compatible with the RTLinux model and that can be adapted to our
programming environment without requiring us to add features that
compromise the model and/or performance.
We have found that the pthreads model fits RTL surprisingly well:
"pthread_kill(pthread_linux_thread(), RTL_LINUX_IRQ_SIG+irq) "
to send an interrupt to Linux and  pthread_create to create a new
thread, and etc.

IEEE standards can be purchased online from ieee.org.