Emeel wrote:

> has anyone run rtl from a DiskOnChip Flash device? any comments

Not yet but I've done it using RTAI, can't be any more difficult with
RTL.

> references/ guidelines or How-to's on booting up this device as a
> primary drive with rtl?

Depends on which DOC driver you want to use and what your final usage
will be.
For in-house work that won't be distributed use the M-Systems driver and
utilities,
compile the driver into the kernel and follow the instructions. We
(LineoISG) have
produced a modular version of the M-Systems driver (for M-Systems) but
I'm not
sure when it's going to be generally available. You can use that without
breaking the
licence for distributing the end-product.
Visit  http://www.m-sys.com  for more info.

An alternative would be the MTD project which is producing a completely
GPL DOC
driver that you can link into the kernel without any legal issues.
Visit  http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org  for more info.

I use SYSLINUX to boot the thing using an INITRD (because I use the
modular driver)
but I've used LILO with the driver in the kernel too. Be aware that
you'll need a patched
version of LILO (and boot.b) which you can get from the MTD site if you
use the MTD driver.

The biggest problems were the floppy-disk shuffle and the 'unexpected'
problems of using
a read-only root filesystem. I partition the root fs into 2 parts, a
main RO partition and a
(small as possible) RW part. Be aware also that the MTD driver is not
yet complete, it
doesn't currently do wear-levelling or error correction (to the best of
my knowledge).

Hope this helps
Trevor

--
Zentropix Inc - a Lineo company

Tel: +44 (0)1273 234 647         Fax: +44 (0)1273 704 482

Visit http://www.zentropix.com/ for Real Time Linux Tools
Visit http://www.realtimelinux.org/ for Real Time Linux Information