Der Herr Hofrat wrote:
>> Fifo creation is done by      mknod /dev/rtf[n] c 63 [n]

> rtf are major 150 not 63, thats the old number for rtl2.0

> pleas run the example programs
> examples/frank/frank_module.o  (kernel module)
> examples/frank/frank_app       (user space app)
> and

> examples/measurements/rt_process.o (kernel module)
> examples/measurements/monitor      (user space app)

Nicholas, thank you very much for your response.

All the examples work as they should and did so from the start. I have
decided to understand this,
so here are the basics, which I am still unable to cope with:

    1. open("/dev/rtf1", O_RDONLY);
                fails, i.e. the return-value is < 0, irrespective of the
flags I use, or the way I invoke the
                fifos. The same applies for write().

    2. ofstream fifo("/dev/rtf1"); fifo << "data" << flush;
                 does not create errors, but the fifo stays empty and
the handler in the rtf-module will stay
                 idle.
--------
I venture that the main misunderstanding lies in my exchanging ordinary
files with fifo-devices.., but
sorry-, what else is needed?
--------
I could quote the header-files, but having struggled with RTLinux for
about two weeks, I am quite
familliar with copy and paste now.
Again, I know that this is not a RTLinux-topic, in the first place. But
although it might look as if we
are just playing around with things beyond our mental capacity, I need
to get some serious work done.

Have a nice weekend, by all means!   ;-)

Michael