On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 01:12:06PM +1300, Koda Chan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a few last dificulties that I need to solve hopefully in a short
> length of time.
>
> Would anyone know of code already written to conduct a frequency/time period
> measurement test and interrupt response time in RT Linux using a parallel
> port.  I know some code exists from Zentropix (but it may not be
> complete??).

There are examples in the rtlinux/measurement  and examples directories.
The basic idea is simple:
        MAchine1:  disable interrupts
                   while 1
                        send byte down parallel port
                         while read == write;
                        read time

       Machine 2:
                install parallel port interrupt handler

        handler:
                read parallel port
                invert
                write
                return

Please write if you don't find or understand that code. I'm sure it is
there somewhere, but am traveling and can't look right now.

> Also, I'm trying to get real time networking performance while the processes
> may not neccesarily be real time (but it would be beneficial).  I know that
> TCP/IP (ipv4) is not real time but is there a way around it? Has anyone
> tried the RTnet code fom Lineo and are there alternatives for use on
> RTLinux?

I'm interested in hearing user reports on RTnet  too.

> Finally, how valid are the tests using lmbench and netperf on RT Linux since
> they are not run in real time?

These tests are valid but are useful only in making sure that the RTLinux
changes and even applications are having an acceptable impact on Linux
performance. In a system with no RT load, you should see negligable performance
degradation.