If I type: "kgcc -v" the info I get back is:
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

It appears to simply be "egcs", renamed.

The compiler I use for all of my RT and Linux work is labelled "compat-egcs,
compat-egcs-c++, and compat-egcs-g77" in the last several RedHat distros.
They install in the /usr/bin directory as:
i386-glibc21-linux-gcc
i386-glibc21-linux-c++
and
i386-glibc21-linux-g77

I then create symbolic links in the /usr/bin directory called:
@fsigcc
@fsig77

I use these in ALL of my kernel builds and RT module compiles. Surprisingly
enough if I type "fsigcc -v" I receive the same version message I got from
kgcc:
gcc version egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)

I believe the RPM names in RedHat 7.2 were:
compat-egcs-6.2-1.1.2.16.rpm
compat-egcs-c++-6.2-1.1.2.16.rpm
compat-egcs-g77-6.2-1.1.2.16.rpm
compat-glibc-6.2-2.1.3.2.rpm