Mislav,

I used 'opaque' as related to "not transparent".

I was frustrated that map.resources enforced such a tight coupling with
param names and generated url helpers that I found myself wishing: "why
isn't there an easy way to make the URLs more opaque?".

Perhaps being able to "see through the url" to the underlying param names
and url helpers is a poor metaphor - but that's just what speaks to me.

As for path_name, I disagree.  It's not the name of the path, it *is* the
path (if you interpret path as something that is prefixed with path_prefix).

So I just want to finish by saying (/me bangs his fist on the table) that
this bike shed *must* be blue![*]

Regards,
Trevor

[*] if you don't get that, google for "bikeshedding" :-)

On 1/26/08, Mislav Marohnić <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2008 8:01 PM, Xavier Noria <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > Why not just
> >
> >   map.resources :tutors, :as => :tutores
>

> It looks too much like polymorphic stuff in Rails. And it does not imply
> that only paths are affected.
>
> And Trevor, I don't like "opaque_name", either. I don't see how opacity
> makes sense to you in this context. Here is what dictionary.com says about
> "opaque":
>
>    1. not transparent or translucent; impenetrable to light; not
>    allowing light to pass through.
>    2. not transmitting radiation, sound, heat, etc.
>    3. not shining or bright; dark; dull.
>    4. hard to understand; not clear or lucid; obscure: The problem
>    remains opaque despite explanations.
>    5. dull, stupid, or unintelligent.
>
> Personally, I'm slightly surprised that "path_name" didn't cross anyone's
> mind on both discussions (Trac and ML) when it is the most simple,
> self-descriptive and consistent.

Trevor Squires
http://somethinglearned.com