On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 9:55 AM, Ben Munat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> However, the main benefit of switching to a Ruby config file seems to be
> "because database.yml was the only yaml config file", which doesn't seem
> like a particularly great reason.

That sounds like a great reason to me.  Why pull in a whole different
technology just to read a 6-line file??  (maybe that's what you were
meaning when you said YAML was a mysterious place inside Rails?)

Or, easily work around wandering mysql socket locations (excuse the junk code):

    config.active_record.connection.configure do |db|
     db.adapter  = 'mysql'
     sockets = %w(/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock /tmp/mysql.sock)
     db.socket = sockets.find { |f| File.exist?(f) }
   end

Does anyone even use YAML anymore?  My projects are mostly JSON, a
little XML, and zero YAML.  database.yml is an an anachronism.  Why
keep this legacy inside Rails?

Great work Adam.  I'll be installing your patch as I move projects to
Rails 2.1 and I sure hope it moves upstream quickly.

    - Scott