I can see where you are coming from with this patch, but while we're
at it wouldn't it be better to support the standard credential
mechanisms for the database in question as well.

For example with mysql there is a file called ~/.my.cnf that can hold
the credentials necessary for the 'mysql' tool to log onto the
database. It is a simple ini file. Similarly with postgres there is
the ~/.pgpass file

I would really like to see a three layer system here

- Use the database tool set credential storing mechanism if it has
one.
- Override with credential details from database.yml for backward
compatibility.
- Override with ruby config credential details from the environments,
if specified.

That way you can keep your credentials out of Rails completely if you
want *and* have it DRY with the toolset you are using.