Just thinking: There are actually two more options (maybe more, but I
can think of two right now) if accepting localized input for all
numbers seems too drastic.

a) Have a config hook that is disabled by default, e.g.
config.active_record.delocalize_input = false. Only when this is set
to true, numbers (and maybe in the future dates as well) are
delocalized. As for the ActionView part of the change (if we'd want to
change that at all - personally, I'm not sure), the same thing could
be done: config.action_view.localize_form_field_values = false (anyone
got a better name? ;-).

b) Explicitly whitelist fields to be delocalized with a DSL-ish
statement like Product.localized_attribute :price. This could probably
be even more explicit if additional options are passed (e.g. :as
=> :number, :type => :currency).

I personally like option a), mainly because I don't really see the use
case for b) - why should anyone want to only localize/delocalize some
numbers instead of all?

I'm pretty certain the ActiveRecord change makes sense, even without
the corresponding ActionView change.