On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Rodrigo Rosenfeld Rosas
<rr.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That is exactly what I meant. I was not complaining. But since the
> guides documentation are not an official documentation,

Why do you say that?

The guides live under rubyonrails.org, are coordinated by the Rails
Documentation Team, whose leader is a core team member. Guides are
included in the Rails distribution. They are as official as you can
get.

> there are no
> concerns in updating the guides when something changes in source-code in
> the same patch. I guess most core developers didn't even read all guides
> so that they are aware of changes that possible affect the guides. The
> consequences are that the guides will eventually be outdated until
> someone notes and updates its documentation to reflect the new changes.

Yeah that's a risk.

The good news is that guides are under the umbrella of docrails. So
updating them is quite easy and that's happening. It could be the case
that doesn't happen, certainly, but it can be the case it does. The
setup is streamlined and well-supportted to help making that possible.

> This is a bit dangerous in my opinion if we want to welcome new
> developers. Documentation is one of the most important roles in any
> framework.

Agreed. For newbies, and for experienced developers also. I personally
consult the API everyday, it is very important that it is as good as
possible. Complete, with good examples, uniform conventions, etc.
That's why I joined docrails as soon as Pratik announced it.

> I am always concerned about new adopters and trying to get their
> experiences as smooth as possible.

That's good.

> Congratulations for your work in docrails, by the way.

Thank you!