On Apr 9, 2010, at 4:26 AM, Joao Carlos wrote:

I just came across a situation where it would be extremely handy to
have a method that returns the receiver.

Imagine the following example:

filter = %w(with_votes without_votes).include?(params[:filter]) ?
params[:filter].to_sym : :self
Idea.published.send(filter).all

The implementation would be pretty simple:

class Object
 def self
   self
 end
end

Should this be a part of Rails?

(somehow managed to forget to hit send on this one yesterday. sigh.)

Smalltalk has a method Object#yourself which does just that. The most common use case is with cascaded message sends, but Ruby doesn't have those. I've wanted #yourself in Ruby now and then too. Since Matz was very familiar with Smalltalk when he created Ruby I assume he didn't think it was necessary, but it's one of the questions I always want to ask him but forget to when I get the chance.

--
Josh Susser
http://blog.hasmanythrough.com