On Nov 15, 2010, at 7:07 PM, k...@metaskills.net wrote:

> Lastly (@Ernie), I do not think it's fair to say, just get your update
> out. Those who know me, know that I spent way to much of my free time
> writing open source code for the benefit of the rails eco-system,
> almost to a fault. This is about a versioning policy that should have
> allowed me to roll with the punches while I spend a few weeks focusing
> on my personal projects.
>

> - Ken

Ken,

Some clarification is in order. I meant no disrespect in my response. I
empathize with your investment of free time, and I certainly never said "just
get your update out." My point was that this shouldn't have taken anyone who
maintains a gem that depends on ARel by surprise. I intended to give practical
advice for avoiding this type of thing in the future as a gem author.

For those of us watching Rails and ARel on GitHub, the necessity to track this
change became apparent late in September. For those who weren't, Aaron's post
at http://engineering.attinteractive.com/2010/10/arel-two-point-ohhhhh-yaaaaaa/
mentioned it explicitly a month ago.

I stand by my original statement that the Rails version number followed solid
semantic versioning principles by incrementing patch, and not minor, level.

Sorry if there was any misunderstanding. As someone who was once stuck coding
in an MS ecosystem, I greatly appreciate the efforts of anyone willing to
undertake the effort to maintain an adapter for SQL Server. If you need any
help figuring out the layout of ARel 2, please drop me an e-mail. I've spent
enough time digging around in it and submitting patches in both 1.x and 2.x
that I should be able to help. That failing, Aaron's always been very
responsive, in my experience.

--
Ernie Miller
http://metautonomo.us