I believe the reason for Release Candidate is not just to test rails, but
other components as well, take this RC for example, it depends on
un-released version of sass-rails, and a new version of Sprockets even if
Rails did not introduce any regressions that doesn't mean that other
components are as safe. The core team simply cannot guarantee that it is
working as expected in any environment and for all applications.

Wael