On Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:26:34 PM UTC+1, Jeremy Kemper wrote:

> Pushing a candidate is part of making that process robust and repeatable.

It's bizarre that pushing *more* releases makes the act of pushing releases
easier.

The candidates are to avoid release screwups, not to capture every last
> possible bug. (3.1.2.rc1, for example.)

I can understand why the core team tries to avoid the scenario that once
led to releasing 2.3.6 + 2.3.7 + 2.3.8 in the same day. That day,
developers didn't feel to confident about those releases because first two
were "screwups". But maybe there are ways to improve the release process
and detect "screwups" early before pushing the actual gems out. That would
eliminate the need for throwaway version numbers (i.e. RCs for patch
releases). I don't have concrete suggestions about this due to my lack of
experience for releasing software at this scale.

@everyone: This discussion is not about should Rails follow SemVer for
their versioning policy. But Rails patch releases already conform to SemVer
in a way they don't introduce/change features.