Having the ability to easily comply to CAN-spam and other email legislation
without having to add an if clause to _everywhere_ you are sending out email
would be nice.

Looks like you can already do something like this a mail interceptor:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8594626/how-to-add-a-before-filter-in-usermailer-which-checks-if-it-is-ok-to-mail-a-user,
 though the OP never responded whether that works or not.

--
Richard Schneeman
http://heroku.com

@schneems (http://twitter.com/schneems)