This conversation is diverting from the original.

The question was whether a patch for this functionality would be useful, I
personally would find it useful. And on that front we're done.

If you want to talk about alternate implementations using existing Rails
functionality please move the conversation over to Rails-Talk list. If you have
questions or need advice cc/ me in a pull request.

--
Richard Schneeman
http://heroku.com

@schneems (http://twitter.com/schneems)