> add_foreign_key(:employees, :companies, :options => 'deferrable')
>
> What is the effect of the code above in such scenario if a user wants to
> run the code on MySql or MS SQL Server?

Good point. You should bring this up as a foreigner issue and do a pull
request to add common options to its adapters like:
https://github.com/matthuhiggins/foreigner/blob/master/lib/foreigner/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb
and oracle and whatever else supports similar options.

However, I don't think you always would want to specify deferrable, and if
you specify a deferrable option, and it isn't supported then should it just
ignore it? Then to be DB agnostic you'd have to include all relevant
options for each DB, and maybe some share the same name that you wouldn't
want to use for others, so then you'd end up with something like (maybe):

add_foreign_key(:employees, :companies, :pg_specific_options =>
[:deferrable, :some_other_pg_option], :oracle_specific_options =>
[:some_oracle_option])

but that isn't much different than putting logic in the migration like:

case ActiveRecord::Base.connection.adapter_name
when 'PostgreSQL', 'Oracle'
  add_foreign_key(:employees, :companies, :options => 'deferrable')
when 'MySQL'
else
  raise "Database adapter not supported. Please file issue at (url to your
github repo issues)"

end

but, I still see your point. It would be nice for sure to not have to worry
about it.