I remember recently seeing an email mentioning this on the mailing list[0] (I
coulnd’t find it but my search-fu is severely limited). The application
deadline for mentoring organizations was Feb. 20, so I hope we can get the
confirmation that Rails signed up as a candidate.

In the meantime you can take a look at the Ruby GSoC repo for some Ruby-related
ideas: https://github.com/rubygsoc/rubygsoc/wiki/Ideas-List

[0] Or maybe it was IRC, I can’t remember! It specifically addressed how the
submissions for this year are expected to be more practical than the ones from
previous years.