Hi Sushruth,

> On Mar 8, 2015, at 11:00 PM, Sushruth Sivaramakrishnan
> <sivsushr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> There is no evidence that it is being used a lot. But there is this,
> https://www.npmjs.com/package/base91  (< 100 downloads till now).
>
> We never know how much of a performance boost it provides or what downsides
> this has, unless we try it out ourselves.

Instead of adding this directly to Rails, why don't you create a gem that adds
support for this encoding? Many of the features we use today (strong_params,
turbolinks, ARel...) started this way, and it’s worked fine so far (it allows
us to test features without adding extra complexity/impacting a large number of
users).