> On Jul 25, 2017, at 4:00 PM, Jaco Pretorius <jdjpretor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday, January 9, 2014 at 4:08:34 PM UTC-5, Steve Klabnik wrote:
> Minitest is already in the standard library, so you're not really
> adding or removing any meaningful dependence.

> I just found this thread after noticing the same dependency today and looking
> for a way to potentially remove this. I don't quite see a dependency on
> minitest in the 'standard library' (by which I assume you mean the Rails gem
> itself).  https://github.com/rails/rails/blob/master/rails.gemspec  Or is
> there another dependency I'm missing?

When Steve wrote that sentence three+ years ago, minitest was still included as
part of the Ruby standard library. It was removed in 2.2 - see this discussion
for more details:

https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/9711

> As far as I can tell we would need to not autoload test_case.rb and then wrap
> the 'require' call to give a more meaningful error.  It's not clear to me if
> we expect consumers of the gem to use the ActiveSupport::TestCase class, or
> is that purely for testing the library itself?  I don't see any explicit
> examples for it in the documentation, but I'm also not that familiar with
> MiniTest.

ActiveSupport::TestCase can be used directly (see the example in the guides:
http://guides.rubyonrails.org/testing.html#rails-meets-minitest
<http://guides.rubyonrails.org/testing.html#rails-meets-minitest> ). The
minitest plumbing is also used by Rspec (in at least some cases):

https://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/blob/e8054a1cd03044f725030fe8315952cf3799a395/lib/rspec/rails/adapters.rb#L22

<https://github.com/rspec/rspec-rails/blob/e8054a1cd03044f725030fe8315952cf3799a395/lib/rspec/rails/adapters.rb#L22>

I’ll reiterate Rafael’s point from earlier in the thread: why is removing this
dependency important?

—Matt Jones