On May 16, 2008, at 10:39 AM, Robby Russell wrote:

> On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Pokkai Dokkai
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> what is the best linux version for rails project ?
>
> This is a good question for your system administrator. It's whatever
> you/they fill the most comfortable with maintaining.

I'll agree with this, but throw out my personal preference of Gentoo
linux ;)

>> and what is the best databse for rails project ?
>
> PostgreSQL. There is a huge *community* behind it... kind of like Ruby
> and Rails. ;-)

        And I will agree that postgres is a better database then mysql in
most cases> But I will still choose mysql for one major reason...
replication. Postgres has no built in replication except for WAL file
replication which means the slave is in recovery mode and you cannot
run queries against it. If you are sure that you will never need to
scale past one db server then psql is probably a better choice but if
you will need to scale then mysql beats postgres hands down when it
comes to master, slave and master master replication.

Cheers-

- Ezra Zygmuntowicz
-- Founder & Software Architect
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]