Seriously, stop with the performance stuff - it's not an issue. You keep
bringing it up and I'm here to tell you it's just plain wrong. And my
example is a perfect example of the benefit of the assignment of instance
members within the constructor as rule. In fact, in this example, it's the
ONLY way to make someArray be an instance member across instances (vs.
shared across instances, again, also know as static).

Bending language (and clogging performance) to meet inept programmers
> expectations doesn't seem like a wise thing to do.

You're clearly not in charge of a team of developers doing long term large
scale application development, with a statement like that. You MUST account
for programmer skill level disparity. Not doing so IS unwise. This is one of
the most critical issues for an architect and project manager... being able
to plug in new team members and ensure, to whatever extent is possible, that
the basic skillsets needed are as standard as possible and that the code
output is consistent. You just will not find a homogeneous team of rockstars
that can navigate easily through all the intricacies of the target
platform/language and instantly grok everyone else's "uber" coding styles.
And once again, the "clogging performance" statement is erroneous.

All the above said, that's not even the point of my argument (but it's
important and is quite contrary to your quote above).

All I'm saying, is that you're wrong about the pattern. I'm not here to
convince you to use it, but you are just wrong. It lends itself to extreme
scalability, and does not, I repeat, does not adversely affect performance.
That's a lie that someone told you, that you never tested, and I just want
to stop the propagation of this falsity... lest someone else believe it.