I am using Prototype, although I'm not convinced this is really to do
with the Javascript, hopefully someone will have seen this sort of
problem before and can suggest a solution.

Basically I am developing a small app for work which pretty much
entirely relies on Ajax (no page reloads etc). This was working fine
until yesterday when some of the requests just started timing out for
the full 300 seconds, not generating any errors (on either firebug or
the servers php error_log), but just not processing the request.

This problem is exclusive to POST requests where I am trying to update
or create something in the database, however it is not a database
error, as it's not getting that far, it is not even running the first
line of the 'AjaxHandler.php' file that should be called. ( I tested
this by adding a sanity check line of code to write a basic message to
the error_log to say that it was processing that line of code, and
there's no message, despite the fact that there is for all of the GET
requests )

I think it might have something to do with caching, as when I clear
the cache in firefox it works once, however I do have headers that I
thought should be preventing the caching (and had been successfully up
until now) i.e.

header('Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT' );
header('Last-Modified: ' . gmdate('D, d M Y H:i:s') . 'GMT');
header('Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate');
header('Pragma: no-cache');
header('Content-Type: text/xml');

I have made changes over the last few days as I am working on this,
but I can't identify any changes that could possibly have caused this
behaviour. I have deliberately left out any specific code so that if
anyone would need to see bits of code for this I can provide it, but
will avoid posting vast quantities of largely irrelevant code.

Thanks,

Simon