Element#next is for siblings, not children, so that won't work.
$(dropp).down('.de_small') should work (you left out the dot - your version
looks for an element named <de_small>.  $(dropp).down(0) seems like it
should work, as should $(dropp).down() with no parameters, as long as there
are no other children in that span.

-Fred

--
Science answers questions; philosophy questions answers.