On Sep 9, 4:23 pm, "Russell Norris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> veering off topic... what does "Ferret is nice, until you try to make it run
> in production." mean exactly? i've seen mention that ferret has problems in
> production but i don't understand what other use you'd want it for. just to
> develop an idea but never put into production?

exactly the point. you develop an idea, want to run it in
production and have a hell of a time. I've used ferret only in two
projects. Project one was very simple and we had no problems.
The other project was a bit more complex, no problems in
development, but when we put it in production, the index update
failed totally, missing to add things to the index, even after
full reindexing the whole dataset. We didn't give it too much
time though, so such issues may be solvable.
But to switch the whole thing to sphinx was a matter of a day or two
(with no previous knowledge of Sphinx) and it worked in production
as in development right away. Ok, a bit more work to setup everything,
but since then running (several months now) without the least trouble.