On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 08:31 -0700, Jon wrote:
> the VERSION value at in rake db:migrate VERSION=[versionNumber] is the
> migration number right?  for instance lets say I have 3 models
> generated in this respective order albums, users, and reviews.  If I
> do "rake db:migrate VERSION=0", it will delete the data and existence
> of all three tables....if I do VERSION=1, it will delete the existance/
> data of users and reviews etc etc...
>
> So my problem is I rolled back to VERSION=0, added a column to Review
> in the migration file, and migrated again.  For some reason rails
> didn't acknowledge the change and the table indecies are still the
> same.
>
> So my before I rolled back to version 0:
>
> class CreateReviews < ActiveRecord::Migration
>   def self.up
>     create_table :reviews, :force => true do |t|
>       t.text :productReview
>       t.string :product
>       t.string :productCreator
>
>       t.timestamps
>     end
>
>   end
>
>   def self.down
>     drop_table :reviews
>   end
> end
>

> I then put in a coloumn called album_id
>
> class CreateReviews < ActiveRecord::Migration
>   def self.up
>     create_table :reviews, :force => true do |t|
>       t.text :productReview
>       t.string :product
>       t.string :productCreator
>       t.integer :album_id
>       t.timestamps
>     end
>
>   end
>
>   def self.down
>     drop_table :reviews
>   end
> end
>

> Rand db:migrate and checked my structure in the console and it's still
> the previous version without album_id....
>
> Any thoughts?
----
The general idea is that when you want to change a model (i.e., add a
column), that you created a new migration that adds the column to the
table rather than migrate down and lose data.

If however, you rake db:migrate VERSION=0, can you confirm indeed that
the 'reviews' table is indeed dropped?

Craig