It depends on "what" you have interest in doing.

For my applications, there database focused.

So here is the "getting" something going in the shortest possible
time.

1. Get the "Ruby Cookbook fro Oreilly". (Keep on your desk)
2. ProActive Record is another one I would keep handy.
3. Choose a project.
4. Use the following plugins:
    a. ActiveScaffold
    b. Tabnav/Widgets
5. Use sqlite to start. (I used oracle to start, but I work in a
enterprise)
6. Start your app.

The lovely part of using activescaffold, is its highly customizable.
So you can go
far not "writing" any dhtml/xml/dom/css. Yes your have a "enterprisey"
looking app,
but your have it in short order. I've done apps with 20-30 tables,
write a conversion script
to import the data, write a generator script to generate controllers
and models, and had
it up and running and usable in 4 days.

It all depends on the "type" of applications you want to do.

You might want to look at mentalpagingspace.blogspot.com
lots of experience I've gained in using ruby and rails for large
scale corp applications.

At this point I feel I can do anything from a Stock trading
applications to a MRP/ERP system
using ruby on rails. (And can do it in windows or linux).