Hi

I have limited success with rails and am trying very hard to
understand the MVC, DRY and RESTful concepts that Rails supports.

What I am trying to do is to automate some data manipulation
procedures for legacy systems. I have three tables that I need to
import into the Rails application.

Table 1
Legacy_System_ID1, Agency_Business_Number, Agency_Name
belongs to Table 3
belongs to Table 1

Table 2
Legacy_System_ID2, Legacy_System_ID1, Legacy_System_Contact_ID,
Agency_Business_Number, Agency_name
has many Table 1

Table 3
Agency_Business_Number, Agency_Name.
has many Table 1

These files are all in csv format. What I am having trouble with is
the concept of primary key ids. Rails does not like primary keys that
are not incremental. I know I can set the primary key to
Legacy_System_ID1 in Table 1 and set the foreign key to the same ID in
Table 2.

The pinch is that I need to seperate the contact_ID from the
Legacy_System_ID2 of Table 2 into two tables and also add new entries
into Table 3, which is essentially a subset of Table 1 to keep track
of which Agencies with unique Agency_Business_Numbers are registered.

Whats the best way to go about this in Rails? I am experimenting with
Instant Rails 2.02