Hello,

I have been trying for the last three days on two different debian
linux platforms x386 and amd64 using different rubygems versions
1.1.1, 1.2.0 and 1.3.1 to update gems on my system. No way! It only
says it's  doing a bulk source update, eats all memory and does
nothing. The longest I was waiting was 10 hours. Surely that's enough
to update rails installation with dependencies and a couple of other
gems  on a 1Mb cable line? It seems I'll have to learn to live with
manual gem downloads. So my question is: how do you live without
rubygems when you have to? Has anyone any shell scripts that use awk
or sed, tar and wget? I'm sure they would do a better job. I'm close
to start writing one but maybe someone already got something like
this.

Many thanks for any hints

Piotr