If they're asking you to encrypt the password in the database.yml file
itself, you kinda can't.  I think the best you can do is secure the
flle's read permissions so that it can only be read by the owner
(which should be the process that runs the app.)

If they can get access to that file and read its contents, chances are
good that they can also start up the console, modify your ruby code,
and change your app. The DB password in that file is the least of your
problems.

I realize that might not be the best answer, but as I understand it,
it's not possible to do db password encryption out of the box.

Anyone else know a better solution?