On Nov 26, 10:07 pm, pepe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I currently have an application deployed and running and just recently
> I have been asked to encrypt the database password. The password is in
> the database.yml file.

The key is to work out what you actually want to achieve.

If you're worried about someone stealing your laptop
and accessing your local copy of the database, then;

- store you mysql data files on an encrypted partition.
- if someone can get onto your machine, they'll also have to know the
password to decrypt that partition, and hence access the database

If you're worried about someone getting onto your production server,
logging onto your database, and then stealing your data, then;

- only allow access to your servers from trusted IPs (probably just
your office)
- ensure that root access via SSH is disabled
- only allow access to servers via ssh-keys, and only use keys which
have a password encoded
- ensure that mysql is only accessible from your production servers
- ensure that your production servers are up-to-date and kept up-to-
date with the latest security patches.

As an minor additional point,
don't check in your database.yml

use a separate one that is copied in when you deploy to your
production servers.
thereby removing any hints as to what your db usernames and password
might be, until you've already hacked into your super-secure servers.