I just started struggling with the same problem as described in this
thread, starting when I updated rails from 2.1.2 to 2.2.2.  My apps
work fine in rails 2.1.2.  When I change environment.rb to 2.2.2, boom
they blow up.  Error message says:

"The bundled mysql.rb driver has been removed from rails 2.2.  Please
install the mysql gem and try again: gem install mysql."

When I try to install the mysql gem, I get the error described by
Schalk.  Says it's just a doc error, and gem list shows mysql gem
installed, but the error above still happens.  Have tried uninstalling
and reinstalling mysql, no change.

I am on Vista 32, running Instant Rails.  Mysql 5.0 is installed and I
can access it both from the command line and from myPhp interface.
Also, when I change environment.rb setting back to 2.1.2, app runs
just fine.

Has anyone made any progress in figuring this out?  TIA