Update: Found this solution on ruby forum:
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/171640

Copy the file libmysql.dll from mysql/bin to ruby/bin.

It worked for me.  Environment starts and app executes properly in
2.2.2 now.  Still get the rdoc error when installing mysql, but it
doesn't seem to affect the environment.