It's nowhere near the same scale as cities in the US and Europe, but
Wellington, New Zealand definitely has a lot of demand for Rails developers
right now.

I also know of recent jobs openings in Christchurch (if you can't take the
shake), Nelson, and Auckland.

I would suspect the market in Australia is hot. Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane
probably best bets, though supposedly there is a big shortage of IT workers
(haven't heard Rails specifically) out west to support the mining industry.

Australian pay is better than NZ pay due to exchange rates.

Personally, I'm looking for at least one junior level developer to work with me
on projects as a freelancer. Remote from anywhere is fine as long as you have
excellent English language communication skills. If you can't write and speak
in English well, it's a non-starter. I expect some sort of code on github to
look at too. Contact me at wm -at- waltermcginnis dot com.

Cheers,
Walter
Twitter: wtem