On Thursday, March 8, 2012 1:11:16 AM UTC-8, Colin Law wrote:

> On 8 March 2012 03:44, yellowreign wrote:
> >

> > On Wednesday, March 7, 2012 7:37:58 AM UTC-8, Colin Law wrote:
> >>
> >> On 7 March 2012 15:33,
> >>
> >> Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread,
> >> insert you reply into the previous post at appropriate points.
> >> Thanks.

> >> And the answers to my other questions?
> >>
> >> Colin
> >
> > Hi Colin, I think you're right.  I'm running 1.8.7 locally, but my Heroku
> > stack is 1.9.2.
> >
> > So my next newbie questions is how do I get my current local app to use
> the
> > 1.9.2 that I installed (downloaded from http://rubyinstaller.org)?  Is
> there
> > some place to map my development environment to the new 1.9.2 install?
> >  After I installed Ruby, I went into the command prompt to run rails s,
> and
> > I got this message, "report_activate_error: Could not find RubyGem rails
> > <>=0
> >
> > I tried searching, but couldn't find anything except
> > this:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2741180/how-do-i-upgrade-from-ruby-1-8-6-to-1-8-7-on-windows
>
> Sorry, if you are on Windows I can't help.  Most Rails developers use
> Linux (I use Ubuntu) or Mac.  You will have to hope someone here who
> uses Windows can help, or alternatively (which would be my suggestion)
> set up your machine to dual boot Win and Ubuntu, or run Ubuntu in a
> virtual machine using VirtualBox or VMWare.
>
> Hi Colin,
To be honest, this is the first time I developed something - I only started
learning because my developer left me.  I did some research and it seems
like the purpose is to parse the date fields considering it is entered in
an American format (and then saving to the database).  However, I dug
around and found this gem https://github.com/jeremyevans/ruby-american_date
which
I could probably use instead.