Thanks those are both useful. I've seen the PostgreSQL docs page on
scaling but as far as I can tell it deals with scaling from the
databases end.

I'm more concerned with scaling rails access to the database. I've had a
look at Octopus https://github.com/tchandy/octopus as a potential
solution. But Octopus relies on a static configuration file to detail
all the available instances. This kind of precludes any form of failure
recovery strategy that doesn't involve shutting down each rails instance
and changing that file.

My dream method would be to on database failure, have each rails
instance automatically pull the next databases url from somewhere and
change their targeted db on the fly.