On Friday, July 27, 2012 11:52:26 AM UTC+1, Sumit Srivastava wrote:

> Tom,
> That might be another solution. But what I am trying to know is why isn't
> this method working. And how is the action *def password=(pass)  *actually
> being called. Because I didn't see any exclusive line where it is being
> called. My analysis says it is being executed because of the *
> attr_accessor* and having name same as that of the column *password.
> * *
> *

*Am I right?

> *

It's hard to say because it's extremely hard to piece together what code
exactly is excuting - seems like there's at least 3 different versions in
this thread, but it sounds to me like you've
definte a password= method  always calls self.password= which (by
definition) calls your password= method and so you end up in an infinite
recursion.
The original tutorial you followed used a different name for the attribute
so instead of calling self.password they were calling self.hashed_password=
instead. You could either follow the tutorial (although as others have
pointed it, it is really old (Rails 3.2has a has_secure_password that
handles this) or use self.write_attribute(:password, some_value) when you
want to store the hashed value

Fred